Nageshwar Temple (Gujarat) all Information
Located in Dwarika (Gujarat), the Nageshwara Temple is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas mentioned in the Shiva Purana. The temple has 25m tall statue of Lord Shiva with a beautiful garden and a pond around it. The temple is facing the south while the gopuram is facing the east.
Key Points about the Temple
• Location : Daarukavanam, Dwarika, Gujarat- 361345
• Affliation : Hinduism
• Deity : Lord Shiva
• Timings : 05:00 am to 09:00 pm
• Entry Fee : Free Entry
• Photography : Prohibited
• Festivals : Maha Shivratri (February to March) & Kartik Purnima (November to
Legend of the Temple
Two myths are associated with the site-
1. It is believed that a group of sages named the balakhilyas used to live in Darukvana, and these sages were worshipping Lord Shiva. To test their faith, god once disguised as a naked ascetic wearing only serpants. The wives of the sages followed the ascetic because of their attraction. The sages then cursed the ascetic to lose his linga (phallus). When the ling fell, the entire earth trembled and to save the earth Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma requested Lord Shiva to take it back unless the world will be destroyed. Pacified, the god took it back and promised his divine presence will be there in Darkvana as ‘Jyotirlinga’ forever.
2. The temple is in Darukvana which is an ancient name of a forest in India. About the legend of the temple, the myth is narrated in Shiva Purana. It was believed that a demon named Daaruka had attacked a devotee (Supriya) of Lord Shiva and imprisoned many people in his city of Darukavana including her. When they were chanting the name of Lord Shiva, enraged Daaruka tried to harm them but Lord Shiva appeared to rescue them. Daaruka’s wife was blessed by Goddess Parvati and hence Lord Shiva could not kill the demon but took the form of a lingam to protect Supriya and other people forever.
• There is no fee for entry.
• The temple is open all days of the week.
• The timing of the shrine is from 05:00 am to 09:00 pm.
• Aarti Timings-
Nageshwar Morning Aarti- 05:30 am
Nageshwar Afternoon Aarti- 12:00 pm
Shringar time- 05:00 pm
Nageshwar Evening Aarti- 07:00 pm
• The temple is open on all seasons but October to June is considered as the best time to visit the temple.
How to reach the Temple?
• By Air- Porbandar airport is 110km away from the place and is the nearest airport.
• By Train- Dwarka Railway Station is the nearest railway station from which one can take local cabs or buses.
• By Road- The temple is well connected with roadways buses as well as private taxis.
• Sky Stays Heaven
• Vraj Inn
• Hotel Parth Inn
• Hotel Nilay
• Hotel Shree Murlidhar
• Hotel Ginger Dwarka
• Hotel Kavya
• Hotel City Palace
• Rukmanee Temple
• Bhadkeshwar Mahadev Temple
• Beyt Dwarika
• Gomti Ghat
• Gopi Talab
• Sivrajpur Beach