Shankaracharya Temple all Information
SHANKARACHARYA TEMPLE is located on top of the Shankaracharya Hill on the Zabarwan Range in Srinagar, Jammu and kashmir. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
The SHANKARACHARYA TEMPLE is also known as JYESHTESHWARA TEMPLE.
The temple is located in valley offering its magnificent view to the pilgrims. Snow clad covering the mountains,reflection of sunlight or lights of boats in the water, giving those shimmering effect is a wonderful experience.
As per the historians, earlier, it was a Buddhist site which was then changed to Hindu site of worship by ADI SHANKARACHARYA.
The temple was visited by Adi Shankara and has ever since been associated with him; this is how the temple got the name Shankaracharya. This place is also regarded as sacred by Buddhists.
- The temple was built by Raja Gopadatya,giving its name GOPADRI to the temple. It is after the incident of Shankaracharaya staying in this temple led to the renaming the temple to SHANKARACHARYA TEMPLE.
- The temple is built on a solid rock with an octagonal base that supports a square building on top. The terrace around the square temple is reached by a stone staircase.
- A doorway on the opposite side of the staircase leads to the interior.
- There is a lingam encircled by a snake inside the temple.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE TEMPLE
The temple has gained a lot of recognition, not only from religious point of view, but also for its architecture. The sidewalls of these steps once bore a value inscriptions. There was even a Persian inscription dated back to emperor Shahjahan’s rule.
Also believed that the great SHANKARACHARYA stayed here when he visited Kashmirto reviveSanathan Dharma.
- Best time to visit from May to October
- 7:00 AM -8:00PM
TIPS FOR VISITING THE TEMPLE
- Cars are not permitted after 5:00 PM.
- Mobile and camera are not allowed.
HOW TO REACH
- Shankaracharya temple is accessible from all parts of the city by the regular buses that operate in Srinagar.
- New Heaven Canal
- New Balmoral Castle
- Private Room in Heritage colonial Bunglow
- Blooming Dale Hotel
- New Buckingham Palace
- Kashmir Naaz
NEARBY PLACES TO VISIT
- Dal lake
- Mughal Garden
- Nishat Bagh
- Shalimar Bagh
- Shikara Ride
- Hazratbal Mosque
- Pari mahal
- Nehru Garden