Thillai Natraja Temple (Chidambaram)all Information
Located in Chidambaram (Tamil Nadu), the Chidambaram Nataraja Temple or Thillai Nataraja Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva in the form of Nataraja (the lord of dance). It is a significant place for hindu devotees and also a great example of Dravidian architecture. It is only one of five temples where the lord is represented as an idol (instead of a lingam). The name of the temple and the city, Chidambaram, means ‘clothed in thought’ or ‘atmosphere of wisdom’.
Key Points about the Temple
- Location : Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu-608001
- Affiliation : Hinduism
- Deity : Nataraja (Lord Shiva)
- Timings : 06:00 am to 12:00 pm and then continues from 05:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Creator : Chola Kings
- Entry Fee : No Fees for entry
- Architectural Style : Dravidian Architecture
Architecture of the Temple
The architecture of the temple represents the connection between spirituality and arts, creativity and the divine. The walls of the temples are carved showing 108 karanas from the Natya Shashtra and the postures reflects Bharatnatyam, a classical Indian dance. The temple is build on a 40-acre area within the layers of courtyards. The temple has nine gopurams and also has a sacred water pool made in a rectangular plan. Though the temple is dedicated to Nataraja, but there are also another shrines for Lord Vishnu, Devi, Lord Ganesha, Nandi, and other gods.
- The temple is open on all days of the week.
- There is no entry fee for the devotees.
- The timing of the temple is from 06:00 am to 12:00 pm and then continues from 05:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
- The timings for different rituals is as below-
- Pal Nivedyam – 06:30 am
- Maha Aarti – 07:00 am
- Kalsandhi Pooja – 07:45 am to 09:00 am
- Irandaam Kaalam – 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- Uchikaalam – 11:30 am to 12:00 pm
- Saayarakshi – 05:15 pm to 06:00 pm
- Irandaam Kaalam – 07:00 pm to 08:00 pm
- Ardhajaamam – 09:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Though the temple is open on all seasons but July and October to March is considered as the best time to visit the temple due to pleasant atmosphere during this time.
How to reach the Temple?
By Air- Tiruchirappalli Airport is the nearest airport which is 168 km away from the site.
By Train- Chidambaram Railway Station is the nearest railway station to the temple.
By Road- The temple is well connected with local and roadways buses, and private taxis.
- Hotel Saradharam
- The Grabnd Park
- Vandayar Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palace Stay
- RK Residency
- Heavens Land Hotel
- Nataraja Residency
- Meera Lodge
- Homestay Senthil Akam
- Chidambaram Spiritual Stay
- Hotel Akshaya
- Pichavaram Mangrove Forest
- Thillai Kali Amman Temple
- Pictchavaram Backwater
- Tirunallurpperumanam Temple
- Tirunelvayil Temple
- Tiruvetkalam Temple
- Chathapurinathar Temple
- Thirukkadaiyur Temple
- Mayiladuthurai Temple
- Sirkazhi Temple